Cockroaches are well adapted to living in urban environments. They easily squeeze through tiny cracks and can even get into buildings through pipes and drains.
Cockroaches love food – so they tend to be found around the kitchen and other areas that food is prepared and eaten. They feed off scraps and spills.
Their favourite hiding spots are:
- In drains and grease traps
- Tight spaces such as in a pantry, under cardboard boxes, under a stack of newspapers/magazines, or behind the fridge
- Cracks in walls
- Below sinks
How can I avoid cockroaches in my home?
- Clean up spills quickly
- Don’t stack newspapers, magazines, or cardboard boxes in the house
- Regularly clean underneath the fridge, toaster, stove, and other appliances
- Empty the kitchen bin regularly
- Make sure food scraps are cleaned off the floor quickly (especially with toddlers around)
- Store food in sealed containers
- Don’t leave pet food lying around in pet bowls
- Fill gaps where cockroaches might get in
Want to prevent or rid of cockroaches?
Do you think you may have cockroaches at your place? Would you like to prevent cockroaches from becoming a problem?